Information You Provide Directly to Outdoor Minded Mag
If you are interested in obtaining information, products or services from Outdoor Minded Mag, or in participating in certain activities on this Site, you may need to provide us with information about yourself. For example:
- If you order a product from us, we ask for your name, postal address, email address, telephone number and your credit card number.
- If you are ordering a product as a gift for another person, we will ask you for that person’s name, postal address and phone number in order to enable us to deliver the gift to the recipient.
- If you participate in an activity such as a survey or sweepstakes, we may also ask you to provide other types of information such as gender and personal interests, which we may associate with personally identifiable information that we have obtained about you.
In addition, we may combine personally identifiable information that you have provided to us with other information that is publicly available or that we receive from other sources.
Information We Collect Automatically
In addition to information you choose to provide to us, we also use standard Internet technologies to collect automatically certain additional information. For example:
- IP Address. When you come to our Site, we collect your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, which identifies the computer or service provider that you use to access the Site. We may use IP addresses to collect information regarding the frequency with which specific visitors visit various parts of our Site. We may combine this information with personally identifiable information that we have collected to make our Site and our communications to you more targeted to your interests.
- Web beacons and other technologies. The Site uses other tracking tools, including web beacons. Web beacons are images on the Site (or in emails that the Site sends to you) that help us determine what parts of the Site you have visited, whether you have opened an email that we have sent to you, or otherwise to measure the effectiveness of the Site. These technical methods may involve the transmission of information directly to us or to a service provider authorized by us to collect information on our behalf.
The information we collect automatically may be combined with information that is personally identifiable so that we can make our Site and communications more interesting to you.
Third-Party Online Advertising
Outdoor Minded Mag may use information that we collect about you for a variety of business purposes, including:
- to maintain and manage your account, deliver Services that you have requested, and enhance your experience on our Site;
- to process and track your product or service orders and provide the services you request;
- to communicate with you about the Site or other products or services in which you may be interested, or to respond to your inquiries or comments;
- to perform business analyses or for other purposes to improve the quality of our business, the Site, and the products and services we offer; or
- in accordance with your consent.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
We take very seriously our responsibility to maintain your privacy with respect to your information. We will therefore share that information only with the following entities, and only under these circumstances:
- with identified entities whose products or services you specifically use or request to receive while you use the Site;
- with other selected third parties so that they may send you promotional materials about goods and services that they offer, but you have the opportunity to opt out of our sharing personally identifiable information about you as described below in the section entitled “Your Choices,” and we will not share your email address with third parties for promotional purposes unless you specifically agree to such sharing;
- in aggregated or other non-personally identifiable form; or
- in accordance with your consent.
We understand the importance of protecting our customers’ privacy, and we therefore provide you with the opportunity to opt-out of having your personally identifiable information used or disclosed for certain purposes.
You can opt out of receiving promotional communications from Outdoor Minded Mag and our Affiliates and our licensees, or request that we not share personally identifiable information about you with third parties for the third parties’ marketing purposes, by contacting us at:
Because we plan our communications in advance, it may take several weeks for your request to become effective. If you continue to receive our communications in error after expressing an opt-out preference, please let us know so that we can investigate the situation.
Third Party Sites
The security and confidentiality of your information is extremely important to us, and we take a number of steps to safeguard any personally identifiable information or credit card information that you provide to us. However, no method of transmitting or storing electronic data is ever completely secure, and therefore we cannot warrant or guarantee that such information will never be accessed, used or released in a manner that is inconsistent with this policy.
Personally Identifiable Information Contained in User Content
Some sections of our Site may allow users to post or transmit messages, comments, screen names, computer files and other materials. If you choose to make personally identifiable information public through these Services, National Geographic will consider that information public and will not limit its disclosure in the manner described here.
This policy was last updated March 13, 2012